Saturday, August 16, 2008

A Map to Success

After birthing 2 children of my own I’ve been told time and time again those endearing feel good comments like- "Whose baby is that? You couldn’t possibly have just had a baby!", "Wow you look fantastic are those prepreg jeans?" (Yes they were!) "Your so lucky you can lose weight like that!"

So I've got to be doing something right, right? The numbers alone are appealing, after my first son was born I managed to get 7 lbs below my prepreg weight. Going into post partum number 2, I worried that I wouldn't have the same advantages as the first go round- back then I was driven by the will to look stunning in my Wedding dress and all those expensive photos, and on that expensive honeymoon... Here I am 4 months into "post-baby-body-reconciliation" though, and I am not at all disappointed in my body's will to recover on its own- sans the pressure of getting married. Some days it feels like it's fighting its own battle and my own physical will doesn't even need to wake up- (in lamens terms) I'm still eating cookies.

What separates me from plenty of other struggling new mommies? Where is this unfair advantage coming from and how do you tap into it? First of all, let me make it perfectly clear that I am no health food junkie, I do not regularly exercise (yet), I am not withering away of an eating disorder and I accept no help from little magic pills. I don't believe that it is just in "my genes" to perform this weight shedding either- the rest of the women in my family will attest to that. What I do believe however, is that post partum weight loss has a lot to do with your mentality. Which if you think about it, might make sense-- it's the easiest thing to batter and lose control of. Women especially, are guilty of brutally destroying their own self esteem and confidence- most of the times unintentionally or passively.

If your endless parade of diet and weight loss tips and tricks are not working for you (still) and you're tired of waiting for the winning float to ask you aboard- take a moment to consider and review the "map of success" I've put together. You never know, it just might work for you!

Rules

1.) "Get by with a little help from your friends"-- I love this song! And how can you not? It tells us all that it's ok to need a hand sometimes, it's human and it's natural. (Both of those sound like good characteristics for a diet to me!) Here are some ideas on how to use them:
Take them shopping with you. No, not just to peruse the clearance racks, new shoes or latest trend in handbags. To the grocery store. You'd be surprised what you think twice about putting in the cart when your "diet buddy" is around. This is also a great time to catch up on the latest gossip, take a break from the home and enjoy each other's company (something you may otherwise do over food and drinks?). Plus, second opinions on food choices can only be helpful for everyone involved. My girlfriends and I used to meet at our local Wal-Mart once a week and take our time picking out foods to eat, comparing labels together and of course- chatting each other up.
Report to them. Start a plan together in which you and your buddy(ies) weigh in, measure hips, waist, bust etc and check in together every week. Keep a "plan journal" to record all pertinent information about your success and progress. Sharing the results weekly with a good friend fuels your desire for future accomplishments and seeing the new stats on paper always feels good.
Work out with them. This doesn't necessarily mean everyone gets a membership to the same gym and meets there on a regular basis. Have fun with it- get an exciting workout DVD to get into together and meet at your place after work once a week. Join a workout class together- yoga, kick boxing, even dance- anything that keeps you moving and having fun is the key.

2.) Everything in moderation-- You've surely heard this before, and it really does help. Don't say "no" to indulging in Co-Worker's birthday cake, say "no" to that giant piece on the corner with extra frosting, and graciously accept an inside sliver instead. Take the cake and walk away- don't look back at the leftovers! When dealing with large meals, consider how your wallet will benefit from stretching that one dinner into dinner and lunch the next day.

3.) Make the best choices possible, as often as possible!-- I say this all the time, remember- it's my motto! This is as easy as 2% milk over whole, light yogurt over regular, low fat cheese and dressing options... wheat bread or tortillas instead of classic white. And remember- as often as possible gives you some wiggle room to order french fries with your meal today instead of a baked potato. Just be mindful that today doesn't turn into tomorrow, and the next day... Same thing goes with exercise. If you're bumming out on the couch, do some leg lifts or grab a hand weight. If you've got a spare 10 minutes jog in place. Opt to walk the dog with your kids around the block. Choose games that involve physical effort with your children. This can be so easy-- no need to dedicate time out of your schedule to get your body moving, take what you can, when you can!

4.) Don't be foolish!--Postpartum ladies listen up. It is virtually impossible to unveil the same body you had prior to that positive pregnancy test. Just as motherhood changes, well just about everything in your world- the body goes with it. THIS DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A BAD THING! Don't set expectations in the form of your high school prom picture or any other photo of yourself pre-pregnancy. Once you give birth you are forever changed, embrace that and you will succeed. I myself weigh less and have more muscle tone. My hips bones are also stretched a bit wider and my breasts aren't what they used to be- you win some, you lose some! But physically and mentally- I feel great, which is what we should be striving for, not the magazine ad of perfection you've got plastered in your mind. Let that model be happy with herself and her body, remember- you're not her and you never will be. Therefore reaching for her personal "success" is foolish. Don't let it go beyond inspiring you.

Now that you've got the basic rules, here are just a few of my favorite, tried and true things to help along the way!

Lean Cuisine, low calorie 20 oz beverage and a light yogurt at lunch
Slimfast between breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner
Single serving (yes count them out!) of pretzels and peanut butter (in moderation!)
Crystal Light Raspberry Lemonade
Unsweet Iced Tea with Lemon
Salad mix, vegs of choice, a chopped buffalo chicken strip (freezer section), fat free ranch
Half sandwich + single serving of a "smart choice" snack, 2 oreos
Skim Milk, 2% cheese, light sour cream and light cream cheese...
Coke zero (and its flavored cousins- like cherry coke zero)
Thin crust pizzas

Dancing with the kids to our favorite tunes to pass the time
Extra laps around the mall
Lifting baby (or toddler when I'm pushing the limits!) for playtime
Nonstop crunches to a high energy song
Stretching on the floor during primetime tv (aka Olympics for the next couple weeks!)

Posture-- make yourself sit up straight, walk tall, and keep your chin up. People notice this stuff- in a good way!
Don't squeeze into jeans you aren't quite ready for, and don't keep wearing the ones that sag either.
Trendy, billowing tops are extremely forgiving
Exude confidence even if it's not about your body (keep the headline of your most recent accomplishment on constant alert in your mind)
Smile! It's really hard not to look and feel better about yourself when you're wearing one.


Good luck with your own map to success, don't beat yourself up over anything and remember- it's about being happy and feeling great, not just a number on the scale!
PS- My success story is no substitute for consulting your doctor on weight loss topics, please consult your doctor with any health concerns and issues.

No comments: