Friday, September 12, 2008

What I'm reading... (read, actually)


I get frequent emails from Borders full of new and exciting reads, discounts etc, and had been seeing a lot about this summer's hot release-- Breaking Dawn. Not only was Borders flooding my email with it, I saw it everywhere. Up until this week I had been able to resist it's flurry and temptations. After all, I have a large stack of books I need to catch up on anyways, and put off any interest in this hot item due to lack of free time. Then it arrived.


It was a rainy Wednesday evening when my husband walked through the door with the package. I'd been waiting for it, though I didn't know what IT was. A relatively new and interesting friend had asked me earlier in the day if I'd received a package yet. Much to my dismay, the doorstep was bare. When husband walked casually through the door holding the box that evening, I attacked him with eager anticipation. I ripped open the box, ignoring his confused expressions and questions- and there it was. The window out which I would be escaping my long, less than stimulating day, into a mesmerizing world of unconditional love and adoration. Twilight had arrived. (Along with an exciting and beautiful book for my boys to enjoy. Perhaps my new friend had sensed I would also need an offering for them to go along with my "I'm sorry Mommy's been preoccupied" apology?)


Immediately after dinner I recessed myself to the couch and dove into what I knew would be a promising adventure. I am drawn to Rosalie (new friend) partly because of her exceptional taste in... well, everything. Being gifted with something that you KNOW will not disappoint you hardly requires any effort to indulge in. And that I did. And it felt wonderful. Yes, felt. My favorite part of reading novels, is when you are forced by intrigue into allowing your mind to fabricate the characters and the scenes from your perception- and then fall madly in love with them.


The story bleeds somewhat of a forbidden love between an utterly attractive, fascinating vampire and a slightly reckless, yet average seventeen year old human- it's mesmerizing. Not only did I guiltlessly live through teenage nostalgia episodes, I also open heartedly indulged in a raging passion for love, and life. Quite the far cry from my average daily routine, that's for sure! I compare this guilty pleasure to say... eating a row of delicious Oreos in a single sitting while the kids are napping. (Which I did!!) It's too hard to stop, and no one is looking, so you don't have to! And I feel all the better for it. In fact, I will be sneaking off to the book section during our weekend shopping trip, to seek out the second of the series- New Moon.


I am so thankful to Rosalie for sharing her obsession, and am beyond eager to continue this mission through the Twilight series, it just feels sooo good!! Go ahead, allow yourself to be tempted- it may be pleasantly surprising. Unlike the countless other surprises you're faced with everyday (a toddler in bowel movement training flying sans diaper this afternoon, for example...). Happy indulging :)

No comments: